Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cheese making 2010

It’s time to start making cheese again *LOL* OMG it’s been 4 years since I made cheese.
I was a little scared to start again, but once the milk was in the vat ( well it’s not a real vat) it went smooth…
Hahaha not exactly *LOL* my last setup was a huge cylinder shaped pot that was holding around 100+ liters of milk,
picture bellow is my old cheese pot, I think I will use it for smaller batches later on.

it worked good but I wanted something bigger. So I bought this thing… double the size but not as deep and rectangular shape.. I love the size… it could be bigger that’s for sure!
The only thing I don’t like it’s the way the drain is made… not sure if this used to be a maple syrup vat or what?!
So when I made this first batch yesterday all went good, the rennet worked and I cut the curds, but since the milk was only about 32 degrees Celsius, the curds did not sink and I was supposed to remove some whey and add hot water..
This was not so easy to do since the curds did not sink, tomorrow I will use a syphon to drain the whey *LOL*
I will post pictures tomorrow, if I get the chance to make some during my cheese making…
I will do another batch of 200 liters of milk, will do the Bergkaese (mountain cheese) recipe.

My empty cheese room





here they are my first 3 cheeses in 4 years *LOL* It’s a simple one and I can eat the cheese in 14 days *LOL*





sitting in the Brine

No comments:

Comments

Free Forum Software

Swagbucks